Anyway, for those of you who don't know, I do a weekly shout out of some lovely things I've found on Etsy based around a theme. This week's theme is giraffes, of which there are many cute examples on Etsy. Do go and have a search yourself but also visit the shops I've featured - they are great!
|What a cute giraffe crochet pattern from djonesgirlz|
|Sweet little giraffe earrings by fingerprince|
|I love this giraffe diaper bag by pollywogsandtadpoles|
What little snippets of giraffe information shall I add?
- A giraffe can clean its own ears with it's tongue. Personally I wouldn't want to but always a good party trick I suspect... Their tongues are about 2 feet long.
- Because they are always on the lookout for predators, giraffes sleep very little. They average about 30 minutes a day. And other animals use giraffes as lookout posts for predators.
- Giraffes can eat about 35 kilos of food a day. They are herbivores and have a strong liking for accacia trees which have all the nutrients they need bar calcium and salt. Because accacia stores water in its leaves, it also helps in keeping giraffes hydrated.
- However, when giraffes do go and find some water, they can drink up to 12 gallons of water in one go.
- A baby giraffe is about 6 foot tall at birth.
- If they are attacked and cannot run away, giraffes will kick at their predators - and their hooves have been known to sever a lion's head!
- Giraffes can run at 35 mph although only for a short period of time.
- It is illegal to tie a giraffe to a lampost in Atlanta. Which makes me wonder when giraffes were so prevalent there that they had to introduce that law...?!
- Giraffes cannot cough. Must be a real pain if they get accacia leaves stuck in their throats...!
- Giraffe markings are all individual - no two giraffes have exactly the same markings.
- Today's YouTube clip is verging on the ridiculous but for some reason I don't know many songs about giraffes... can't think why! Anyway, it MUST be fun to be a giraffe!