|I love RainbowsontheBeach's Scottish seaglass necklaces - I have one of my own!|
|A cute tartan tote bag by stufforama|
|I really like this gorgeous cup by JuliaSmithCeramics. It reminds me a little of Manx ceramics too.|
What little snippets of information can I find for you today?
- Not only is Edinburgh the capital city of Scotland, it was also the first city in the world to have it's own Fire Brigade.
- The official animal of Scotland is the unicorn. I love that!
- Scotland is more than just the mainland - there are about 790 islands as well although only about 130 of them are inhabited.
- The highest point in Scotland is Ben Nevis at 1,343m and the lowest is the Bed of Loch Morar at 300m below sea level.
- Modern inventions owe a lot to the Scots - it's the place where television, penicillin, tyres, video cassettes and golf were all invented.
- Scotland was not always on the same continent - there are two very distinct areas of Scotland: the Highlands and the Lowlands which were originally on different tectonic plates. Several million years ago 2 continental plates met and eventually fused together forming the Highland Boundary Fault and much of the scenery we now associate with Scotland.
- The Loch Ness Monster is obviously a well-known international celebrity, although the legend is relatively new (dating from 1933 or thereabouts). I went to Loch Lomond in the hope of meeting one of Nessie's cousins but sadly only saw deer, no monsters. Oh well. Here's a song from one of my favourite TV cartoons when I was little... There isn't just one Loch Ness monster, the Family Ness have all sorts of characters and I used to love them all: