|Love the swirling in this pendant by flaminglily|
|This skein of embroidery yarn would look great in any number of projects. By therainbowgirl|
|Love these ocean-themed beads by LampworkJewels. So pretty!|
What little facts can I find for you today?
- The oceans provide most of the earth's oxygen that we breathe.
- 94% of life on earth is aquatic. We are still learning about species that live in the oceans but one thing we can thank them for is pharmaceuticals. A lot of modern day medicines have their origins in plant and mineral extracts from the oceans.
- The largest ocean is the Pacific - it covers about 30% of the world's surface. The Atlantic covers about 21% and in total the oceans cover about 70% of the world's surface.
- The largest mountain range on Earth lies under the oceans - and we had sent men onto the moon before we discovered the Mid-Ocean Ridge in 1973.
- There are more human artifacts of history in the oceans than there are in any of the museums of the world all combined.
- The average depth of the oceans is about 12,400 feet. Photons (light) can't travel further than 330 feet under water which means that a huge amount of life in the oceans is always in the dark.
- Sadly I've already used Under the Sea from the The Little Mermaid in a previous post (see here) so this week you get Dory from Finding Nemo speaking whale... Enjoy!