Sunday 29 July 2012

That Friday Feeling...Olympics

Wow, who else watched the Opening Ceremony on Friday? Wasn't it fantastic? From all the pre-opening cafuffles I was convinced it would be a total flop but I actually think that London has done us proud and that was a fantastic start to what will be some very exciting games. I've just watched Lizzie Armistead win silver for Team GB in the Women's Road Race and that last sprint down the mall had me at the edge of my seat nearly shouting at the TV! I'm in the Cayman Islands at the moment so wasn't there for the live event but I'm actually looking forward to going back and seeing what is happening.
Anyway, here's this week's finds from Etsy - there are some fabulous things and as always I really recommend you go over and do your own searching.

Feel patriotic with this lovely tote bag by CraftStall


I have one of GreenGrass2's change pouches and love it. How about this Summer Olympic print one?
Have an Olympic themed picnic and don't forget the cupcake toppers by papergravystore

Today's random facts for you...

  • The Olympic rings represent the 5 major areas of the world (Americas, Africa, Europe, Asia and Oceania) and the colours represent every flag in the world - all flags have at least one of the 5 Olympic colours in their flags.
  • Gold medals haven't been made of pure gold for nearly 100 years - they are actually silver with gold plating.
  • Mahatma Gandhi covered the Olympics as a news reporter at the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles.
  • At the first Modern Olympics, silver medals were the top prize and winners were also presented with an Olive branch. There were bronze medals for second place but nothing for third.
  • In the 1900 Paris Olympics, winners were presented with paintings instead of medals! - To be fair they were probably more valuable.
  • The first drug suspension at the Olympics was in 1968 when a Swedish pentathlete tested positive for a banned substance: alcohol. He drank several beers before participating. The idea of doing a pentathlon drunk is pretty daunting to start with!
  • The 1908 London Olympics lasted 187 days - they started in April and didn't end till October.
  • An American gymnast, George Eyser won 6 medals in the 1904 Olympics (3 gold, 2 silver and a bronze). Pretty impressive, but even more so because he had a wooden leg!
  • The Olympics have never been held in Africa, South America or Antarctica. The US has hosted the games 8 times (including summer and winter games) and London is hosting the games for the third time. 
So there you are - I am sure there are plenty of other random facts but those were the ones I found most interesting. Oh and there are a number of sports that haven't managed to survive - my favourite being pistol duelling.

1 comment:

PoetessWug said...

Very interesting!! I found out some things I didn't know. ^_^ And I just have to say: "I love sports!!!" :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...