Wednesday 7 September 2011

Homemade milkshake

Last week Tesco totally messed up my usual order - they substituted fresh fruit for frozen fruit and because of the packaging, I didn't realise until too late... we ended up with loads of squishy fruit in the fridge which I had accidentally defrosted without realising it was meant to be in the freezer. Yuck. There went my great yoghurt with fresh fruit breakfasts...

BUT! I came up with a plan... I used to make my own fruit juice quite a lot. I'm not lucky enough to have a juicer machine but it's fairly easy if you have a blender. So I made up some fruit juice (yum) and then had a bit of an inspiration.... MILKSHAKE! ooooh....

I'm not a fan of milkshakes generally as they tend to taste very artificial - well certainly the ones at MacDonalds do, and also I'm not a massive fan of ice-cream either. But surely, homemade milkshake can't taste artificial? And it doesn't HAVE to have ice-cream, does it? So I decided I would make my own personalised version.


Looks good? Tastes good too...

Thought I would share the incredibly complicated recipe with you:

Summer Fruits Milkshake

Ingredients:
3/4 glass of semi-skimmed fresh milk
about 4 tablespoons of summer fruits
teaspoon of sugar.

Preparation:
1) Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl / measuring jug and whizz up with your blender. If it tastes too milky add a bit more fruit or a bit more sugar.

You can drink it straight off, but I'm a bit fussy about things being too thick and bitty so:

2) Pour the mush through a sieve into a glass - you will need a spoon to move the pips out of the way and allow the milkshake to pass through and I had to do it in 2 bits, emptying the extra pips out of the sieve in between.

Voila, tasty homemade milkshake. OK fruit'n'milk drink. But still probably quite healthy and a lot better for you than shop bought stuff as it has no extra ingredients in it. Enjoy!


Oh, as a side-note: I also made raspberry and fruits of the forest milkshake. I'm sure you can use any fruit you wish to really. Although apples tend to puree so possibly not them, and I can't imagine orange and milk being a good combination...

3 comments:

PoetessWug said...

Orange and milk together is delicious!! We have a restaurant here called "Friendly's". They make a raspberry or orange 'Fribble' that will 'knock your socks off'!! :-)) And for a healthier 'at home' drink, try cutting up a banana into chunks. Put it into a 'Zip Loc' or plastic sealed bag, and put it into the freezer over night. Next morning, put the frozen banana, one cup of one or two percent milk, into the blender for about a minute. It is delicious!!!

Unknown said...

MMmm! I love fruity milkshakes- I need to try out your recipe!

Creating Trouble said...

Rachelle - it's so easy you wouldn't believe it!

Debbie - I deliberately avoided the banana too! I'm a bit fussy about fruit... although frozen banana might work for me: I love frozen grapes!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...