Friday 2 September 2011

That Friday Feeling...02/09/11

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me... yesterday was my birthday so today's Etsy shout-out is, of course, dedicated to birthdays. While I'm trying not to think that I'm yet another year older, I do always quite like birthdays - it's a great excuse to get all your friends together and have a party! So here some things I think should be celebrated today:

Cute polymer clay trifle earrings by GiraffesKiss

Love these party favours from KoalitaCraft

And it wouldn't be a birthday without some cake! Necklace by tyney123
As always a few birthday facts for you...

  • The song 'Happy Birthday' was first written in 1893 It was copyrighted for the first time in 1935 and is the third most popular song in the English language. Apparently Auld Lang Syne and For He's A Jolly Good Fellow beat it in terms of revenue from copyrights!
  • More people have birthdays in August, September or October than any other month. And apparently in the U.S. the LEAST likely date for your birthday to land on is May 22nd. I know someone who's birthday is May 22nd. But she's not from the U.S...
  • If you are in a room with 22 other people, there is a 50% chance that someone shares the same birthday as you. And if you are in a room with 56 other people this chance goes up to 99%.
  • I like the idea of un-birthdays... you can celebrate your un-birthday on any day of the year that isn't your birthday. I think I'm going to have 364 un-birthdays this year - today is my first! 
  • Each month has its own birthstone - September is Sapphire as I'm sure lots of you know. But did you know that there's a rhyme for the birthstones? It was first published in a pamphlet from Tiffany&co in the 1870s by an unknown author, and there is a copy here, thought I'd give you my verse: 
A maiden born when autumn leaves
Are rustling in September's breeze,
A sapphire on her brow should bind
To bring her joy and peace of mind.


6 comments:

Mami Made It said...

Happy birthday!
Funny facts! I am curious if this is true the point with 22 people in a room. If you have a party you should verify that thesis ;)

giraffeskiss said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday!!!
Thank you for including my earrings in your shout out! x

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope you're having a great day.
Thank you so much for including my party favors in your shout out. :)

Claire said...

Happy birthday for yesterday!!
Hope you were spoilt rotten!!

Heather Leavers said...

Happy belated birthday! I used to be a teacher, and it was fun telling the class that there were probably two kids in the room with the same birthday - but much much harder to explain that it wasn't the same as saying there was someone else in the room with *their* birthday.

marci said...

I have a similar necklace to the polymer clay cake pendant here. It's one of my favorite necklaces to wear. I love cake! :)

Also...Happy birthday super late. I've been a terrible blog friend lately. Busy, busy. I hope you had an awesome day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...