Friday 3 February 2012

That Friday Feeling...03/02/12

Brrrrr! It's FREEEEZING! So while I'd like to say spring is on the way, and that today's post is dedicated to warmth, I'm afraid it's dedicated to snow instead! As many of you know, I cycle everywhere - in this weather it becomes much harder than at other times of year. I get home or to work and am unable to feel my legs, let alone my fingers and toes! I genuinely think someone should invent a bicycle heater - maybe self-heating trousers or something?

Anyway, let's get on with today's finds!

Love this pretty little snowflake pendant by Huiyitan

Curl up and cuddle a great snowflake cushion by SewEnglish

Awwww! Cute little white amigurimi bunny by TheStitchandFold

What little facts can I find for you today? 

  • It takes about a million tiny snow crystals to make up one snowflake
  • According to the Guiness Book of Records, the biggest snowflake was seen in 1887 and was 15 inches wide and 8 inches thick. That sounds impossible to me... 
  • The most snow to fall in a season was in 1998/1999 when 1,140 inches of snow fell on Mount Baker, Washington State.
  • A single snowstorm can drop 39 million tonnes of snow. That's the equivalent of 120 atomic bombs.
  • Scientists believe there are 5 basic shapes of snowflake, but of course there are infinite variations within those shapes. It is a myth that no snowflakes are identical though - shapes depend on the temperature and conditions in which they are formed.
  • And lastly... we Brits see this video every year at Christmas, it's on TV without fail. But what can be more fitting for the freezing weather than the Snowman? Enjoy...!



1 comment:

Concetta said...

Take is steady on that bike now...(brrr!) x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...