Today's theme is: RAINBOWS! It's been a bit of a weird week weatherwise - from getting sunburnt in my flat to sitting under a blanket shivering I think we've had it all since last Friday. And what happens when you get sunshine and rain? Rainbows of course. This week's Etsy shout outs are rainbow-coloured inspired and aren't they so cute? LOVE!
|Rainbow sock-monkey is so cool! From Sunsetgirl|
|Who does not want a rainbow ninja? Super cute from Lilley|
- In order to see a rainbow you need to have your back to the sun - it's the effect of light being split through drops of water making the waves of light bounce off in different directions. You can only see a rainbow if your eye, the sun and the centre of the rainbow's arc are aligned.
- Rainbow was one of my favourite TV shows when I was a child - I liked Zippy best.
- In Greek mythology the rainbow was used as a path between the Gods and Earth by the messenger Iris. In Norse mythology the rainbow is said to connect the two worlds of Humans and Gods.
- I have never understood the song 'I can sing a rainbow' - for a start the colours are in the wrong order but also how do you listen with your eyes? Just doesn't make sense to me...
- A simple way to remember the colours of the rainbow is this mnemonic Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet) You can also say: ROY G BIV
- It's possible to see a double rainbow - the colours of the outer rainbow will appear reversed. These are actually quite common but we don't look out for them most of the time. If you do see a double rainbow, promise me you won't have the reaction that the guy in this video does... Every time I see a rainbow now I think: 'What does this mean? It's so bright!' (I don't make the noises though!!)