Friday 5 August 2011

That Friday Feeling...05/08/2011

Today's theme is: RAINBOWS! It's been a bit of a weird week weatherwise - from getting sunburnt in my flat to sitting under a blanket shivering I think we've had it all since last Friday. And what happens when you get sunshine and rain? Rainbows of course. This week's Etsy shout outs are rainbow-coloured inspired and aren't they so cute? LOVE!

Rainbow sock-monkey is so cool! From Sunsetgirl


Who does not want a rainbow ninja? Super cute from Lilley



  • In order to see a rainbow you need to have your back to the sun - it's the effect of light being split through drops of water making the waves of light bounce off in different directions. You can only see a rainbow if your eye, the sun and the centre of the rainbow's arc are aligned. 
  • Rainbow was one of my favourite TV shows when I was a child - I liked Zippy best.
  • In Greek mythology the rainbow was used as a path between the Gods and Earth by the messenger Iris. In Norse mythology the rainbow is said to connect the two worlds of Humans and Gods. 
  • I have never understood the song 'I can sing a rainbow' - for a start the colours are in the wrong order but also how do you listen with your eyes? Just doesn't make sense to me...
  • A simple way to remember the colours of the rainbow is this mnemonic Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet) You can also say: ROY G BIV 
  • It's possible to see a double rainbow - the colours of the outer rainbow will appear reversed. These are actually quite common but we don't look out for them most of the time. If you do see a double rainbow, promise me you won't have the reaction that the guy in this video does... Every time I see a rainbow now I think: 'What does this mean? It's so bright!' (I don't make the noises though!!)




5 comments:

PoetessWug said...

I love color!...So the rainbow is right up my color scheme, so to speak. :-] And when you actually see one in person, it does kinda give you that feeling like the guy in the video had...Well, maybe not 'that' intense! He was definitely having 'a moment'!...But you didn't mention the biblical explanation for them! They really do have fabulous meaning!! :-) {Genesis 9: 11-16}

Ben said...

Beautiful!

onetenzeroseven said...

Hehehe! Great post :)

I LOVE Lilley's shop <3

marci said...

That video cracks me up every time. the monkey is adorable! :)

Unknown said...

haha that video is hilarious! Thank you for featuring my ninjas :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...